Sunday, May 11, 2008
Museo Barracco-Antiquities from Around the World
Italian nobleman and archaeologist, Giovanni Barracco, donated his personal collection of antiquities to the city of Rome in the early 20th century. Included in this collection are Egyptian artifacts from 3000 BCE to the Roman period, and Mesopotamian, Cypriot, Greek and Roman objects. Sculpture is the focus of the collection, which Barracco deemed "the mother of all the arts." Today the collection is housed in the Museo Barracco at the Palazzo Farnesina, built in 1523, a lovely example of Renaissance architecture. The museum is located on Corso Vittorio Emmanuele at Via dei Baullari in the vicinity of Campo dei Fiori, the Pantheon, and Largo Argentina and is closed on Mondays.